Saturday 22 December 2007

Reflections on coping with pain and limitations.

Red and yellow flowers
My work is with kids with physical and learning disabilities, so every day I know these young people are coping with things that I never had to endure.

Finding myself in a reflective mood today I was thinking when I was struggling with my own back pain and my own limitations and I have to say getting very down, frustrated and angry with it all, I used to sometimes look to them for hope and inspiration to guide me through it.

I do believe at that time they helped me far more than I helped them...

I once worked with a young man who had muscular dystrophy and knew he was going to die. We talked through what he wanted from a charity who gives kids the last gift. He was very matter of fact about it weighing up if he wanted someting to keep like a TV or if he wanted something he could experience with his family to have the memories of it until he died, and for his family to have good memories of that too even after he died. He chose the latter.... I can tell you I left that meeting in tears but he was so brave and met his challenges head on.

I found this quote fom Helen Keller, another amazing person:

"The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life.

It is this, always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed upon my life almost at the beginning.

I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers".





If you liked this post do consider joining our Facebook Page Sciatica Solutions.



Lose The Back Pain System
Lose the Back Pain, is a system of self assessments to determine what physical imbalances you may have that may be causing your pain, then specific and targeted exercises to follow to address the imbalances, along with pain reduction strategies. 

For useful information and suggestions there is a Free Back Pain Book Written by the Healthy back Institute-

7 Day Back Pain Cure
This free book (there is a small shipping/handling fee for physical book) will give you a good starting point for taking back control of your back pain covering reasons for pain, pain relief, possible treatments, action plans and many other things you will find useful.
Follow Jasmine Ann Raintree's board Back And Sciatic Pain Strategies. on Pinterest.

No comments: