Friday 28 September 2007

A vacation for me and my back!!

person swimming in poolI have been under a lot of stress lately, especially at work and was very much looking forward to my holiday. Due to working very long hours, sitting and driving a lot, doing no exercise at all and being tense-essentially clearly overdoing it- I noticed for the first time in over a year, some back pain and sciatica symptoms creeping up on me...my back was warning me it was working too hard as well and needed some TLC, but I totally ignored it - no excuses, my responsibility.

So while on holiday I decided to get the matter under control and not let it get any worse. The advantage I find of having knowledge of the lose the back pain system is that I can now apply the pain reduction techniques and exercises as soon as I need to. I understand better how my body works and I just did the simple self assessments again and applied what I needed to.

I also spent about an hour or more a day in the pool. For me water therapy was suggested by my neurosurgeon and by Steve Hefferon of the Healthy Back Institute as something I need to do the rest of my life for the health of my back and is very helpful to me.

Most of the time I go to a pool at home about twice a week but I hadn't been doing that lately so I really needed to get in there! For me water therapy is floating, treading water, scissoring my legs, walking in the water etc. Within 2 days of this regime of the lose the back pain exercises and water therapy (if you can call it a regime- it was mostly good fun) I felt better and the nagging pain had gone away...

I know that with my back pain conditions I need to keep up the exercising and caring for my back, if I do that I'm great and can live my life- no magic bullet - but I have found what works for me.

Lessons I learned from this?

a) Really Listen to your body. Dont just listen then ignore it.

b)Find the combination of things that work for you. (which I had)

c) ...and do them.(which I hadn't lately)

d)If stress aggravates your pain learn how to get stress under control.

e)Take responsibility; it was no one elses fault that I had neglected my body.

f)No matter how busy, your health is vital so always make time for it. Backs need a break too :)


  If you liked this post do consider joining our Facebook Page Sciatica Solutions.



Lose The Back Pain System
Lose the Back Pain, is a system of self assessments to determine what physical imbalances you may have that may be causing your pain, then specific and targeted exercises to follow to address the imbalances, along with pain reduction strategies. 

For useful information and suggestions there is a Free Back Pain Book Written by the Healthy back Institute-

7 Day Back Pain Cure
This free book (there is a small shipping/handling fee for physical book) will give you a good starting point for taking back control of your back pain covering reasons for pain, pain relief, possible treatments, action plans and many other things you will find useful.
Follow Jasmine Ann Raintree's board Back And Sciatic Pain Strategies. on Pinterest.

No comments: