A friend of mine is going for an MRI scan soon and we were talking about what it is like and how to be more relaxed and comfortable with the process. So here are just a few tips if you are going for a MRI scan.
- You will need to complete a form before you go in about any medical conditions so its worth getting there a little early to allow a few minutes for that.
- Do check with them before you have it but i hear that if you wear joggers and a T shirt , or clothing with no metal eg zips and if you are female wear a sports bra(again as you can get ones with no clips), you wont need to change.
- If you don't wear these type of clothes and you are having a body scan you may be asked to wear one of their oh so flattering gowns , those flappy ones with ties at the back! I wish i had known about wearing joggers etc before i had mine!
- While in the scanner, do try to relax as much as possible. Its individual but i found it best to close my eyes and try to think myself on a lovely beach...
- Take in a favorite CD and they will play it for you . It helps to relax you and you may as well enjoy your music while you are in there. The scanner is noisy so it is nice to have something else to focus on.
- They will give you a button to press if you feel you need to stop. I found this reassuring although i didn't need to use it. Although no one can stay in the room with you they are not far away and they were so nice and kept checking on me and telling me what was happening.
- If you know you are very claustrophobic do alert your health care provider when you are referred for the scan and tell them again when they do the scan so they can be aware. It is my understanding that if needed and arranged sedation can be made available if necessary.
- Make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you will need to lie still for around 20 - 45 mins depending on the scan.
- In my experience having a scan was fine, i would not mind if i had to have another one and it was much better than i thought it would be.
All the best
jasmine ann If you liked this post do consider joining our Facebook Page Sciatica Solutions.
Lose The Back Pain System
Lose the Back Pain, is a system of self assessments to determine what physical imbalances you may have that may be causing your pain, then specific and targeted exercises to follow to address the imbalances, along with pain reduction strategies.
For useful information and suggestions there is a Free Back Pain Book Written by the Healthy back Institute-
7 Day Back Pain Cure
This free book (there is a small shipping/handling fee for physical book) will give you a good starting point for taking back control of your back pain covering reasons for pain, pain relief, possible treatments, action plans and many other things you will find useful. Follow Jasmine Ann Raintree's board Back And Sciatic Pain Strategies. on Pinterest.